To eradicate the impact of racial and ethnic discrimination and injustice through community education and community building
The mission of CHEER Institute is to partner with communities through community building initiatives, advocacy, training & leadership development, and community based participatory research
To effectively approach community engagement, community based participatory research, and community education, CHEER Institute adopts the following principle values:
1. Social determinants or social factors such as education, politics/legislation, economics, community, and neighborhood are drivers of population health;
2. Community based participatory research is an effective method to research the needs and social factors which impact community health;
3. Community building and community engagement are critical to building the capacity of populations to challenge policies;
4. Information and education are powerful tools;
5. Advocacy is critical to address policies that harm marginalized populations.
CHEER Institute offers a range of training opportunities for small and large groups that address issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Our trainings are customized to fit the specific needs of the group, community, or institution and focus on community change.
CHEER Institute partners with communities to offer a range of health- based programming consistent with local need. See our Health Promotion Calendar for upcoming activities.
CHEER researchers work with communities to collect data and local and state agencies to analyze data in order to help improve community health outcomes.
Dr. Staggers-Hakim is a medical sociologist and public health professional. She’s dedicated the majority of her career working in higher education as a professor of public health, health science, and sociology. Dr. Staggers-Hakim is a skilled group facilitator and frequently trains and leads community conversations on topics related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
Come back for upcoming events and calendar updates
Sign up to hear about upcoming events